Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Civility makes a city truly liveable

From Voices

Today • Wednesday • June 25, 2008

 

Letter from SUBANA JASON

 

I REFER to “Stunning Copenhagen, or sunny S’pore?” (June 23). Having just returned to Singapore after living in Europe for almost 10 years, this is a topic close to my heart as I often wonder if Singapore is a place to settle in permanently.

 

Singapore has an ever-improving infrastructure, a stable economy, a high standard of living, and an excellent transport system. The vast majority of its population believe in hard work and do not expect freebies from the Government.

 

However, there is one more criterion that ranks highly in deciding where I would eventually settle down: Public behaviour. In any city I have been to, I cringe at the sight of inconsiderate people.

 

The bottom-line is, even if a city is rich and colourful, the values and the day-to-day manners of its people matter a great deal. Civility, in addition to infrastructure and economy, is what make a city truly liveable.

No comments:

Post a Comment