Monday, April 13, 2009

2 more struck by food poisoning after eating at Geylang restaurant

Channel NewsAsia - Monday, April 13

SINGAPORE : Two more people have come down with food poisoning after eating at the steamboat restaurant BaShu RenJia in Geylang on Friday, bringing the total number of cases to 14.

Two were hospitalised, and one of them has since been discharged

The case comes hot on the heels of another mass food poisoning case involving a rojak stall at Geylang Serai Temporary Market.

The steamboat restaurant operator said that after the incident on Friday, five officers from the National Environment Agency (NEA) came to collect food samples for testing.

A joint statement from the Health Ministry and NEA said that they did not detect any hygiene lapses likely to be linked to the food poisoning, after conducting checks on the premises.

And so while the shop will remain in operation, the operator has advised its customers to ensure their food is thoroughly cooked before consumption.

However, 13 of its food handlers have been sent for screening at the Communicable Disease Centre.

The place, which has a "B" grade for hygiene, said it has since beefed up its level of cleanliness.

Wu Xiao Ju, worker, said: "After the incident, we cleaned every corner of the place. It has been cleaned thoroughly. Our ingredients are fresh and the food items are prepared every day. And we use detergent to clean the tables, floor and walls."

The restaurant said it received many calls from concerned customers following the incident.

Business has since dropped by half, but some customers are still patronising the place.

One customer said: "I am confident of the food quality at this restaurant. I am not worried at all."

The restaurant said some customers who are not used to the spiciness of the steamboat could end up with upset stomachs.

Channel NewsAsia spoke with Wang Zhen Hui, one of the people affected by the food poisoning. He and seven others were hit after eating at the place Friday night. Mr Wang ended up in hospital.

He said: "When I was at the hospital, I met this stranger. He was on the bed next to me. He had the same symptoms. He also ate the steamboat that night. So I guessed it could be the plates because they felt very oily."

He was discharged on Saturday afternoon to recuperate at home while his friends received outpatient treatment. — CNA/ms

From Yahoo! News, Singapore. Find the source article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment