Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2009

I believe in caning, but only at home

From TODAY, Voices
Wednesday, 25-March-2009

Letter from Peck Bee Choon

I am a Singaporean who has been living in Tokyo for about eight years. My five-year-old daughter was born in Tokyo. Her mischievous acts sometimes pose a danger to herself.

I bought a cane from Singapore to use for disciplinary purposes. It is a teeny-weeny cane which I wave in the air or hit the sofa with to send a warning to my daughter whenever she repeats any mischievous act.

I advocate punishment for kids who repeatedly misbehave in public or indulge in acts that could hurt others or themselves.

I use the cane on my daughter but only at home. I believe that public punishment humiliates the kids concerned and may cause emotional scars that can take a long time to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment